Gramsh is a town and a municipality in Elbasan County, central Albania. The municipality was formed at the 2015 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities Gramsh, Kodovjat, Kukur, Kushovë, Lenie, Pishaj, Poroçan, Skënderbegas, Sult and Tunjë, that became municipal units. The seat of the municipality is the town Gramsh. The total population is 24,231 (2011 census), in a total area of 739.75 km2. The population of the former municipality at the 2011 census was 8,440.
The town is connected with Elbasan, Korça, Pogradec, Skrapar, Librazhd and Berat. The town is crossed by the river Devoll.
Gramsh has been inhabited since ancient times, as is confirmed by archaeological findings in the Tumulus of Cëruja.
In the Middle Ages, the area was under the possession of Prince George Arianiti. During Ottoman rule, it was a kaza administrative division within the Sanjak of Elbasan of the Monastir Vilayet.
From 1912 until 1947, this was the center of Gramsh area. With the new administrative division, it became the center of Gramsh district, in which were placed various state institutions. Gramsh was declared a city on July 10, 1960. Since 1965, it has been a municipality.
Historically the southern part of the district was part of the ethnographic region of Tomorrica, and its population was primarily Bektashi, a Sufi order linked to Shiism, while the northern part of the district was more heavily Sunni, but there is also a Bektashi tekke in the town of Dushk, in the Sult municipality. There are also Orthodox Christians in addition to Muslims in the southeastern region of Lenie, especially in historically Aromanian towns such as Grabovë. There were ethnically Albanian Orthodox Christians from in the nearby Shpat region of the former Elbasan district, which borders Gramsh. Many of Gramsh’s municipalities saw less than 50% of the population declare themselves for any religion, including Tunjë, Sult, Poroçan, Gramsh the city itself, and Kodovjat, as well as the neighboring Mollas region which is historically linked to Gramsh although it wasn’t part of the municipality recently.